The Damien Summer School Curriculum is designed to meet a variety of student needs in a variety of areas. Students from our sister schools Pomona Catholic and St. Lucy's Priory are welcome to attend as well as students from other local private or public schools. Students from public schools wishing to attend Damien Summer School are eligible to take Advancement Courses. However, it is the responsibility of each student to check with his/her school to determine if courses taken at Damien in the summer will meet his/her school's requirements. All Advancement Courses meet UC/CSU requirements for admission.
Course Descriptions are available on this website. Look under the "Academics" menu for "Course Descriptions."
Review courses (R) offer students the chance to improve skills and make up grades in subjects already taken, thereby satisfying graduation and/or college entrance requirements. The "one-room schoolhouse" model is used for review courses in Spanish because there are seldom enough enrollees in each specific course to financially support a section of each. Curriculum has consequently been designed to meet specific needs and skill review for each course. Note: Review courses in Mathematics and Spanish are second semester only because the CSU/UC system allows second semester grades to validate first semester ones. This is not the case in other subject areas. The Cal State System will also validate a first semester D for chemistry but there is an option for making up the first semester of Chemistry also if the intention is to attend a UC school.
Advancement courses (A) are 5 or 10 unit courses that provide students the opportunity to advance in math, science, or general education sequences and qualify for higher levels of coursework. Advancement courses may also be taken as review courses for students who need to make up all units of a subject.
- Most courses satisfy Damien graduation and CSU/UC entrance requirements. Exceptions: courses marked with one asterisk (*) satisfy DHS graduation requirements, but not CSU/UC.
Middle School Enrichment (Rising 7th/8th graders):
- Math and English Enrichment:
- Intended for students (boys and girls) who will be entering 8th grade (or advanced students who will be entering 7th grade) in the Fall of 2018. Both courses are geared toward providing students test-taking and content skill review for the HSPT (High School Placement Test)
- English Review - Reading Non-Fiction (for incoming 9th graders), 5 units * This class (which is the class intended for all entering 9th graders who were required to complete summer school) will have a test at the end of the course used to determine placement in the world language of choice OR The Art of Reading class depending on the score for the 2019-2020 school year.
HEALTH & PHYSICAL EDUCATION:
- Health (A,R), 5 units
- Physical Education (A), 5 or 10 units
- Math review (for incoming 9th graders), 5 units *
- This class (which is one of the 2 possible classes to take for all entering 9th graders who were required to complete summer school) will be used for students intending on taking Algebra 1A in the fall at Damien who wish to focus on the math skills tested on the HSPT test to prepare for Algebra 1A in their first year.
- Algebra 1 (A), 10 units, Prerequisite: See Below
- Approval from the summer school Coordinator / Math Department Chair for entering 9th grade Damien students OR a C or better in Pre-Algebra for non-entering Damien students
- Algebra 1 - 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- Geometry (A), 10 units, Prerequisite: C or better in Algebra 1
- Algebra 2 (A), 10 units, Prerequisite: C or better in Algebra 1 and Geometry
- Pre-Calculus (A), 10 units, Prerequisite: B or better in Algebra 2
Hybrid Courses - (If enough students register) The following courses require a combination of on-campus and online work. Students are expected to purchase a Math XL license if they did not do so during the 2017-18 school year. On-Campus meetings will take place 2 times per week for 2.5 hours (final schedule TBD). The first on-campus class will take place on Monday, July 17.
- Geometry - 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- Algebra 2 - 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- Pre-Calculus - 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
Math courses may require purchase of a Math XL License ($20.00).
- Theology 1st or 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
SCIENCE / ENGINEERING:
- Biology – 1st Semester (R), 5 units
- Biology – 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- Biology (A), 10 units
- Chemistry (A), 10 units, Prerequisite: B or better in Biology
- Chemistry –1st Semester (R), 5 units
- Chemistry-2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- PLTW: Introduction to Engineering Design (A), 10 units
- Intro to Spanish (A), 5 units *
- For students who wish to gain exposure to Spanish before taking Spanish 1
- Spanish 1 – 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- Spanish 2 – 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- Spanish 3 – 2nd Semester (R), 5 units
- Spanish 1 (A), 10 units
- Spanish 2 (A), 10 units
- Spanish 3 (A), 10 units